There were huge changes in the last year for the second largest school district in the country. A look back at some of the major events…
Teachers are professionals that are trained to handle the many needs of their students. What about the people taking over during the strike?
In Superintendent Austin Beutner’s Los Angeles Unified, it’s as if the 2018 elections never happened, or that Donald Trump’s appointment of Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education had never turned a glaring klieg light on the avarice of “school choice” Democrats under Obama who suddenly found themselves aligned with voucher-loving, charter school-pushing megadonors to the […]
Elected to represent the students in the District’s public schools, the LAUSD School Board have been mostly silent as the strike date nears.
The District is encouraging parents to send their students to school if the teachers’ union strikes. Will they be sending kids into mayhem?
Salary: 6% on-schedule raise, including 3% retroactive for 2017-18, plus 3% raise for 2018-19” – LAUSD The LAUSD has already signed contracts with their other major unions that “included raises totaling about 6%.” It was, therefore, unclear why the District’s initial offer to the teachers was to only raise their salaries by 2%. This seemed […]
There is currently an effort to call for a strike that pits adults versus adults when students and their families will bear the brunt of a strike action.“ – LAUSD School Board Having gladly accepted the title of “a gadfly at the school board meetings”, I have a natural tendency to be suspicious of the […]
Via the Washington Post: as of June 11, 2012, ninety percent of the 26,000-plus teachers in the city of Chicago voted to strike if contract negotiations with the city fall apart. At issue are longer school days minus any corresponding increases in pay, and other disputes over class size, restoration of school libraries, art and […]