From our friends at Coalition for Community Schools:
This week, as early as tomorrow, the Senate will vote on the amendment being offered by Sen. Brown (D-OH) (Senate Amendment 2100) to establish a community schools grant program, and we need your help to get this passed. This will be a tougher vote to pass as it establishes a new program, so we need all the advocacy possible for it.
We ask you to do the following things:
1) Take 3 minutes to complete this action alert. Be sure to include a few words about your community schools initiative and results you’re seeing.
2) Forward the action alert to your networks and peers and urge them to complete it as well.
3) If you have 2 extra minutes, call your Senators and use the sample script below to deliver the same message. Thanks if you’ve already done this!
4) Tweet about Senate amendment 2100 using the sample tweets below.
*Note: you must put a period in front of your Senator’s Twitter handle as we do above for it to be seen publicly, or else you are sending a private tweet only your Senator’s account users can see.
Instructions for Calling Your Senators
- Call the switchboard at 202-224-3121. Ask the operator to connect to one of your Senators.
- Once you’re connected to your first Senator’s office, tell the person who answers the phone: “My name is _____ and I’m a constituent. I urge the Senator to support Senator Brown’s amendment (Senate Amendment 2100) to establish a full-service community schools grant program to the Every Child Achieves Act. Community schools improve student achievement and strengthen family and community engagement. Community schools respond to each community’s unique context and are in high demand across the country, and I urge the Senator to support this amendment.”
- Call the switchboard again, ask to be connected with your other Senator, and repeat step #2.
Copyright 2015 K-12 News Network's The Wire