Governor Jerry Brown wants to hold a June, 2011 election where Californians can vote to extend existing taxes to lessen radical cuts to public schools due to budget shortfalls. If the current taxes are extended, the shortfalls will be much smaller. We can bring in as much as $12 billion dollars by extending the current taxes that will otherwise expire.
More than 41,000 people have signed a petition organized by Educate Our State in support of the vote. But a handful of Republican lawmakers believe they can obstruct the much-needed June vote. We’re running out of time to save teachers from being fired, and children’s class sizes from shooting up to 30 and 40 students per remaining teachers.
Who are these people who don’t even want Californians to vote on the issue? They are:
- Sen. Tom Berryhill R-Oakdale, Senate District 14, fax : 559-253-7127, email: email@example.com
- Sam Blakeslee R-San Luis Obispo, fax: 916-445-8081, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anthony Cannella R-Ceres, Fax: 916-445-0773, Email: email@example.com
- Sen. Bill Emmerson, 37th State Senate District, R-Hemet, State Capitol, Room 4082, Sacramento, CA 95814, (916) 651-4037, Fax: (916) 327-2187
- Tom Harman, 35th State Senate District, R-Huntington Beach, State Capitol, Room 5094, Sacramento, CA 95814, (916) 651-4035, Fax: (916) 445-9263
What the heck, give the head of the California Republican caucus some hell too:
- Sen. Bob Huff, 29th State Senate District and Chair of the Republican Caucus, R-Diamond Barr, State Capitol, Room 5097, Sacramento, CA 95814, (916) 651-4029, Fax: (916) 324-0922
If you live in any of these districts, call, mail, or visit them at their district offices NOW.